Wellman throws 3 touchdowns, Cats still fall to Cougars

SHINNSTON – The Grafton High School Bearcat football team made the journey to Shinnston last Friday night to battle the No. 16 Lincoln Cougars. In what turned out to be a hard fought but very ugly high school football game, plagued with 21 penalties for 250 yards and one player suspension, the Cougars outlasted the Bearcats 42 to 21.

The Cougars got on the board first on a three yard run by Hunter Moore on the second play from scrimmage. The touchdown was set up by a Kobie Carpenter 64 completion on the first play of the game.

On the opening Bearcat possession, the boys were driving the ball into Lincoln territory when the first flag came out as GHS was called for holding and then flagged again for an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. The Grafton drive stalled at this point and the ball returned to Lincoln.

The Cougars scored on their next possession to make the game 14 to 0 at the mid way point of the second quarter.

The Bearcats would then answer on their next drive as Garrett Wellman hit Colton Moats for an 11-yard touchdown strike. Just like that the Bearcats were back in the game.

But the Cougars would answer as time expired in the second quarter as they completed a 47 yard touchdown pass as the Cougar receiver made a tremendous catch taking it away from a GHS defensive back. Going into halftime the Cougars were ahead 22 to 7.

The Bearcats were able to answer quickly in the second half as Wellman hit Dylan Pettit for a 41 yard TD pass on the second play from scrimmage. The Cats were once again back in the game only down eight points.

The Cougars next touchdown was aided by a questionable late hit call during the kick-off return against the Bearcats giving the Cougars great field position.

The Bearcats would answer once again in the third quarter as Wellman threw his third touchdown pass of the game. This time Wellman connected with Michael Casseday for a 33 yard touchdown. With Ally Peters once again converting the extra point the Cats cut the lead to 29 to 21.

This would be as close as the Cats could get as Lincoln put two more touchdowns on the board as the Bearcats seemed to be on the short end of the stick the rest of the game.

“At times we played very well tonight especially on offense,” said second year head coach Rich Bord. “This is really the first time we opened up the pass attack and the boys caught the ball and ran extremely hard after the catch. Our receivers were as physical tonight as anybody on the field,” he added.

The Bearcats could only manage 96 yards on the ground as Caleb Bish was the leading rusher for GHS as he carried the ball 16 times for 69 yards. The remaining ball carriers were Pettit (1-(-6)), Wellman (3-3), Trevor Cayton (2-10), Devin Vanscoy (2-25) and Blake Moore (1-(-5)).

Wellman led the team in the air as he was 14 of 27 for 264 yards with three touchdowns and one interception.  Moats and Moore also attempted passes for GHS as Moats was 0 for 1 and Moore was 1 of 1 for 11 yards.

Pettit once again led the receiving corps for the Bearcats as he had four catches for 99 yards. The remaining pass catchers were Bish (2-63), Cassesday (3-47), Dominic Lough (3 for 24), Moats (2-21) and Noah Hodges (1-21).

“Our backs are against the wall now,” said Bord. “Our remaining schedule is very difficult and we get no breaks the rest of the year,” he added.

The Bearcats return home this Friday night as they face state ranked Braxton County at 7:00 pm at McKinney Field.

© 2018-Mountain Statesman

Video News
More In Sports