Thornton area fire being investigated

 THORNTON— Local fire departments were called to the scene of  an active structure fire during the early hours of the morning on Monday.


At approximately 5:10 a.m., crews from the Grafton Fire Department (GFD) were alerted to the scene of a working structure fire on Sigmans Hollow Road in the Thornton area of Taylor County.


Once on scene, firemen noted an outbuilding fully engulfed in a roar of flames and immediately went to work dousing the blaze. The department also called for mutual aid from surrounding entities.


According to a report filed by a Grafton firefighter, the building housed a boat and a 1996 Dodge truck inside.


Due to the severity of the fire, and safety concerns, crews were unable to perform an interior attack of the flames, but were able cut holes into the sides of the structure to allow entry of the firehose in order to gain a better vantage point for dousing the fire.


With the assistance of the Newburg, Fellowsville and Flemington Volunteer Fire Departments crews battled the blaze for nearly four hours, shuttling water and thoroughly saturating any possible hotspots.


The Taylor County Medical Emergency Squad, along with the Taylor County Sheriff’s Department were also present on the scene, while members of the Philippi Volunteer Fire Department manned Grafton’s station.


Despite their efforts to cool all hotspots, the windy afternoon caused the fire to rekindle and departments were once again called to the scene at 3:22 p.m., that same day.


For several more hours firemen with the GFD along with those from Flemington and Fellowsville battled the blaze for a second time.


These efforts paid off, and the rekindled blaze was extinguished.


Unfortunately, the building along with the vessels within were deemed a total loss.


The Taylor County Sheriff’s Department is working alongside the West Virginia State Fire Marshall to determine the cause of the incident.


“As always we are thankful to our surrounding departments that provided us with mutual aid, and are happy that everyone was able to return home safe,” expressed Grafton Fire Chief Wayne Beall.




© 2020-Mountain Statesman

Video News
More In Homepage