The death of William Addison Walters on October 3,1903, removed one of the oldest settlers of Grafton who came to the settlement with the beginning of the construction of the old “stone shops” in 1853 and entered the employ of the North West Virginia Railroad until that carrier was absorbed by purchase by the Baltimore and Ohio in 1857, then continued to hold his employment with the latter company for almost half a century.
He married Arah, daughter of Moses Luzadder, and erected his home in East Grafton. He was one of the first members of the Methodist Episcopal faith and a local exhorter to the congregation that first met in the home of Peter Wolfe that is now 35 West Main street before a minister of that faith was stationed in Grafton.
He was one of active members of the congregation in providing a house of worship in which the people of the Methodist faith might assemble for their devotions and to that end joined with Henry Wolfe, Matthew Luzzadder, William I. Means and John H. Rohrbaugh in procuring the lot now No. 203 West Washington street on which to erect their little church. With the above named members he was named one of the trustees to seek the funds for the erection of an edifice suitable for the needs of the congregation to gather for worship and in 1858 the grounds was sunk for the foundation walls and the building completed in what year by John H. Rohrbough who was given the contract for the erection of the building.
Unfortunately the funds were exhausted before proper seating could be provided and to overcome this deficiency the congregation prevailed on the Marker brothers, owners of the saw mill over in West Grafton to donate a sufficient number of slabs cut from the sides of logs in which legs were driven and these used for the dictation service of their temple at which Reverend Thomas Trainer, the first stationed pastor of the Methodist Episcopal faith, officiated.
For more than half a century Addison Walters was a regular attendant of the congregation in both the Washington and Main street Methodist churches.
With the settlement that began to take form on the lands of John W. Blue in the section known as Blueville the settlers thought it proper and fitting that the village should be given a name. Dr. Robinson, on the first settlers wanted to call the village Robin Hood and Charles Brown was persistent in having the name Brownville given to the settlement, the settlers were equally divided and to end the dispute called on Addison Walters, a great friend of John W. Blue, who gave the decision that the village should be named for his friend, John W. Blue and hereafter known as Blueville and from 1885 to the present this beautiful suburb has been known as Blueville after the man who first erected his home on the land 103 years ago. The village presents quite a different appearance from what it did when Addison Walters bestowed the name of his friend on the village half a century ago. The quiet of the village that once was disrupted by the occasion rumble of the farmers wagons over the unsurfaced roads, now witnesses the unending stream of motor driven vehicles passing over the historical old Northwestern Turnpike and the new cutoff opened for traffic on July 4, 1939.
The William H. Myers Stock company featured Rosabelle Leslie and W.L. Stewart surrounded by a very capable cast of players came to the Opera House for the week of October 5,1903. Miss Leslie, a most capable leading woman soon won a place in the affections of the local house patrons at her initial performance in Grafton and she and her company in the after years always found a warm welcome awaiting her in subsequent appearances. Among the specialties given between acts and was a real Irish bagpiper, John Marron, who played those old haunting Irish airs that not only delighted the people of his own race but found favor with the races of the other nationalities. The Lowrys, refined sketch and travesty artisits, entertained in a manner that won them several encores and Kelcy Conboy, song illustrator invited the audience to join with him in singing the chorus to the popular ballads for those days which were projected on the screen and it can be said the gallery was not at all backward in accepting his invitation.
The Model Stock company entertained the patrons of the Opera House for the week of October 19-24,1902 and met with a very good reception for the week.
“Just Struck Town,” a comedy drama that pleased, came to the Opera House October 27. The title of this production was a magnet that drew a capacity house to witness a very breezy evening of entertainment.