The Myrkle-Harder company featuring the Carleton Sisters came to the Opera House for the week of October 2 to 7, 1905, and found a profitable week’s business in presenting a new number of high-class plays that was witnessed by 4,960 paying customers at the box office.
James F. Hickman, collector of town taxes, notified, property owners that he will allow two- and one-half cents discount on all taxes coming into the hands before December 1, 1905. Ten percent interest will be added to all taxes not paid before January 1,1906, in accordance with the new tax laws.
Samuel Zinn, merchant of West Grafton at his place of business 122 Yates Avenue, inserted an ingenious advertisement in the Sentinel reminding the people “That The Frost Is On The Pumpkin, The Patter of Autumn Leaves, and the crisp and bracing air is a reminder of coming colder weather and advises the heads of families it is time to think of their winter supplies, and he calls attention to the very low prices he is offering to buying public and offers:
Granulated Sugar at 5 1-2 cents the pound. Brown sugar 5 cents the pound; standard brands of Tomatoes $1 the dozen; standard pears $1 a dozen; standard corn 75 cents the dozen; Pillsbury flour $6 a barrel; Potatoes 60 cents the bushel; Sugar cured Hams 13-1-2 cents the pound. He advised the flour market was strong and advancing and those in need should look to their immediate and future wants. These prices compared to the early years when flour sold at $15 the barrel and brown sugar sold at 10 cents the pound, corn and tomatoes at 25 cents the can as shown on the day books of the early merchants denotes the vast strides the canners and processors of foods have made in lowering the prices of these commodities since then. Maryland and Delaware were the principal sources in the early years of canned foods and still holds a prominent place for vegetables in containers, but the state of Ohio whose products find a market in all parts of the nation. California is preeminently the foremost for fruits, both canned and dried, and most of those formerly imported from Spain and Turkey are produced and processed in the sunny clime within the borders of the nation.
The dramatic success “La Bella Russe” with Miss Alberta Gallathin as the star came to the Opera House October 13 and delighted a fine audience with her clever delineation in this production.
Harry D. Comerford retired from the telegraph service of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad and established a drug store at 108 Latrobe Street and by his courtesy and obliging manner won for his business perhaps the greater amount of trade in this line. It is peculiar that along this narrow old thoroughfare all the druggists located their places of business beginning with Dr. Matthew Campbell who established his drug store and office on the site now covered by the Odd Fellows building in the beginning of town later Dr. Thomas Kennedy located on the opposite side of the street from Dr. Campbell. Dr. Grandstaff located at the corner of Ethel. Dr. A.H. Thayer after the close of the Civil War established his drug business in a frame building on the site of the present Burns building. Theodore Kohlousen’s drug store occupied the street floor of the old Robert Shaw building at the corner of Ethel Street and later disposed of the business to Dr. P.J Rowan. Dr. Matthew Dougherty purchased the drug business and took over the practice of Dr. Campbell and at the breakdown of Dr. Doughtery, young Dr. john Campbell took over this large practice. Mrs. Anna Doughtery admitted Abraham Lipscomb as a partner in the drug store and Lipscomb conducted the business after Mrs. Doughtery with her family departed from Grafton and purchased her interest conducting the store under his own name. Dr. Samuel A. Walker came to Grafton in 1874 and opened an office for the practice of medicine in a frame building that stood on the site of the present Mugler building. Dr. James McGraw after graduation opened an office and drug store on the site now housing the Favish Novelty company store. Dr. William F. Vanlirk came to Grafton in 1887 to take over the practice of Dr. John Campbell and Dr. Thayer admitted Dr.F.T. Haught as a partner in his drug business in 1889. And this narrow lane once an important street that was named for that genius Benjamin Latrobe who found the path over the Alleghenies for the Baltimore and Ohio railroad was seeming the place selected by the drug and medical profession for their locations.