The graduating class of Grafton High School held their commencement exercises in the Opera House April 29,1906. The class in this year was composed of ten members who were: Frank Blaney, Mary Cook, Hattie Foreman, Pearl Fries, Irene Foley, Emma Kennedy, Anna Kenny, Guy Means, Leslie Rogers and Eleanor Tregellas.
Frank Blaney studies law as far as known never practiced his profession at the local bar. He served in the World War and became incapacitated while in the service of the nation. He is a resident of Grafton.
No information concerning Miss Mary Cook.
Miss Hattie Foreman after graduation prepared for a teacher’s course and was engaged by the board of education of Court House district to instruct in the grade school at Simpson. In 1907, she was engaged by the Grafton board of education as a teacher in Grafton grade schools and served in the local school for 21 years, dying February 2,1923 for a fatal attack of pneumonia at the home if her parents on West Main Street.
Miss Pearl Fries is the wife of L. J. Stover prominent locomotive driver for the Baltimore and Ohio they reside in Grafton.
Irene Foley was for a time engaged as a teacher in the public schools of Grafton and at last account was a resident of Clarksburg.
Miss Emma Kennedy is the wife of Samuel Waller who is connected with State Administration at Charleston and make their home in the Capitol City.
Miss Anna Kenney is the wife of T.L. Nuzum an accountant in the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio railroad and they reside in Grafton.
Miss Eleanor Tregellas is the wife of W.I Booth a banker of Clarksburg and resides at Clarksburg.
Guy Means took up the study of agriculture and better soil condition by use of fertilizers and lime and fruit spraying of fruit trees for the control of San Jose Scale and other pests that were ruinous to vegetation and giving demonstrations in soil conservation.
The Woman’s Club of Grafton gave an artistic May concert in the Opera House on May 4,1906. This club organized for the purpose of entertaining the local folks with the better class of musical compositions for the voice instrument under the direction of Mrs. James B. Moran whose ability was fully recognized by the music loving people of the town and who gathered around her the very best talent into this Woman’s Club now in its sixth year of operation, and which was supported by the people generously at each concert given by the club. Mrs. Moran an indefatigable worker whose whole soul was wrapped up in arranging these artistic musical treats never, like many directors lost patience with a member of the organization at little disturbing things that so often happen in all societies of this kind but lent her aid and encouragement in smoothing out the disturbance.
Council ordered Berkeley Creek Bridge reconditioned for passage to the show grounds for the Frank Robbins circus that was scheduled for two exhibitions August 21,1906 and avoid a happening which occurred to the Gentry Dog and Pony show the previous year and cost the town an expensive lawsuit.
The regular fall theatrical season opened August 20, with the marx Brothers in the farce comedy Ikey and Abie.
The town council approved a resolution favoring the United States Department establishing savings banks for the safeguarding the deposits of small depositors and by this means teach thrift and economy.
The farce comedy “A Race For A Widow” an amusing play came to the Opera House August 31, 1906 and pleased a very good audience.
Mayor John McClung organizes a new brass band known as the Veterans Band of Grafton and is made director of the organization which hoped to share with Vincent’s Imperial Band in providing entertainment to the town folks.
Donnelly and Hatfield’s Minstrels an organization composed of members of the Al G. Field and John W. Vogels minstrels came to the Opera House September 3, 1906, and pleased a large house.
The Large window glass plant on Males Botton in East Grafton is almost ready for operation and the stockholders fully expect the plant ready for turning out production by November.
The strip comedy “Buster Brown’s Holiday” with a complete set of scenery and company of 40 people came to the Opera House September 13,1906, and pleased an overflowing house.
Professor Henry Pracht and wife resume dancing lessons in Brinkman Hall September 17,1906, and a very large class of beginners and many of their old pupils eager to learn the new dances of this popular pastime.
The melodrama “The Warning Bell” came to the Opera House September 18,1906, and drew a fair size audience which witnessed a very good play presented by a very capable cast.
George H. Workman leased the Shaw building and established the Palace Café on the Latrobe Street floor and was prepared to furnish oysters and seas foods in season. Lunches of all kinds and meals of all description served in tasty style.