A fire occurred at the pump station on Grand Street December 16,1905, that burned off the entire roof of the building which Superintendent Thomas P.Kenny estimated caused a loss of $1,600. Council immediately had the building committee replace the burned roof to save any damage to the pumps and machinery.
The Scilorf Club, an organization of young men and women, was formed in October 1905, for the purpose of entertaining at danced and other forms of amusements. The officers of this society were Lester Beery, William P. Cline, John Flanagan, Charles Hussion, Harry Lambrecht, Harry Price, Walter Tibbetts and Thomas Vance at which Vincent’s Orchestra rendered music on all occasions during the functions of this society of young folks. This club succeeded the Fernleaf Club, organized in 1891 and functioned for 14 years and as the members of the first club became decimated the younger set re-organized and renamed the club.
Brinkman Hall, for a third of the century, used for many dances and other social functions was used by the new organization in which to hold these gatherings by the younger set. Speculations on the number and names of those whose feet glided over the polished floor of this room in the beautiful dances of other years. Some of the men and women now grandparents of the present generation, others have drifted to other parts and still others have been called to the great beyond. The many dinners held by the fraternal societies, festivals, fairs, public and religious meetings, school commencements, political and temperance meetings and other meetings for various objects. In the room too, men and women famous in their day raised their voices from the stage for worthwhile purposes, the many called into court during the time the Taylor County Court House was in process of construction and the spectators who came to hear the trial of someone who broke the laws of God and man. Had the names of all those who entered the doors of this famous old public hall been preserved what an amazingly long one it would be and would reveal many a name for themselves in shaping affairs in the State and Nation.
Council appointed a committee composed A.C. Love, Dr. R.H. Mackin, and A.J. Wilkinson to confer with the officials of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as to the advisability of extending the bridge from Latrobe Street to South Grafton in case the railroad carried out their plan of erecting a new passenger station and passenger trains entering the town in case of abandonment of the historic old station and realignment of tracks would greatly add to the danger of the people who cross the rails to reach South Grafton. The officials assured the committee plans were not yet completed for any change in the passenger station and in case they were the bridge situation would receive attention.
William Gould, for many years transfer clerk in the mail service at the passenger station, died at his home in West Grafton January 1,1906. He came to Grafton in the 70s and was employed on the foundry of the Baltimore and Ohio until the railroad moved this department to Newark, Ohio. He remained here and was appointed transfer clerk of the mails under President Cleveland and was in service at the time of his passing.
The musical comedy “The Rajah Of Bhong” came to the Opera House January 5,1906. This extravaganza with special scenery and music of orient and characters delineating people of exotic nation pleased a very good house.
The large window plant in process of construction began assuming shape and the promoters hope to have the plant in operation during the fall months, producing glass. Charles Stozenfels, perhaps the largest property holder in East Grafton, was largely responsible for having this new industry located in that part of the town and gave his time and money to the project that meant an increase in population and wages to the people of Grafton.
Dr. Thomas F. Lanham went among the citizens with a petition to have a bridge erected from Walnut Street, to West Grafton to Grand Street to South Grafton, HE secured pledges and money sufficient to erect the passage between the two parts of town and the rection of the bridge was assured when the project was laid before the Taylor County Court.
The rural drama “A Romance of Coon Hollow” came to the Opera House for the second engagement January 8,1905 and did not fare so well, the patrons seemed to have tired of these rural romanced and the business suffered from this indifference. Perhaps the billing of the musical Opera “The Princess Chick” which followed on January 12, had much to do with the light business sone by Coon Hollow play. Both the advance and box office sale for Princess Chick brought a fine and paying audience into the theatre to enjoy a fine treat of music and singing.
Charles R. Durbin came before the council and asked for a franchise to erect, maintain and operate a street railway on the streets of the town of Grafton. This was the third application made for this purpose and as the hand of Colonel John T.McGraw was behind Mr. Durbin’s application the council felt that in time the street railway would become an actuality and readily agreed to issue him the asked for franchise.
Dr. Hanson A. Jarrett and Dr. John S. Whitescarver came before the town council and asked permission to erect “hitching posts” in front of their offices on Main Street. These posts that once stood in front of business houses and professional offices now conveniences of the past recalls the song “Among My Souvenirs” popular in the 90s and reminiscent of many things our fathers found useful in their time.