The History of Taylor County Chapter Three Hundred-Thirteen


Sebastian J. Walter, general merchant whose general merchandise business occupied the Boyles building, extended his heartiest thanks for a very successful and prosperous business year, and promised to strive to render to the people of Grafton and the surrounding territory even better service than during the past years and wishes a continuance of the friendly patronage his business has enjoyed since he located in the new building. 

An entirely male audience came to the theatre to witness Same T. Jack’s famous burlesque company on the night of March 9,1905. This kind of entertainment, while not wholly uplifting yet it was amusing to a certain class of theatre patrons who at times demanded something different to, the usual run of amusements, and 640 adults purchased tickets to witness the burlesque to which the adolescents were excluded. The ministers and the ladies of the town engaged in moral uplift protested against this kind of entertainment, but the management was forced to book these so-called immoral plays at times to satisfy his patrons. Times have brought about many people, and pictures that are daring are shown in the local theaters that bring no protest from the people of today. 

Dr. James A. Grant abandoned the drug business to engage in the general merchandise business at 18 East Main Street, where he welcomed his former patrons to inspect his line of merchandise in his new location. His stock was all new and bright and clean and his prices were as reasonable as any store in town. 

A.Q. Scammon’s comedy production “The Real Widow Brown,” came to the Opera House for a return engagement March 11, 1905, and despite the Lenten season this popular comedy drew a fine audience who enjoyed the evening performance. 

L. Bernstein, clothier who occupied the building that stood on the site of the present Woolworth store, had his stock somewhat damaged by fire and smoke that broke out in his store. In order to dispose of the damaged stock, he offered men’s pants at 77 cents a pair, men’s shirts at 23 cents, each, men’s shoes $1.19 the pair, men’s suits that sold at $20 for $9.97, and boys suits $1.17. These prices brought a throng of bargain seekers to inspect the goods offered at this fire sale, who quickly bought up these bargains. 

“At The Old Cross Roads,” a melodramatic entertainment dealing with pastoral life came to the Opera House March 13, 1905, and drew a nice business from an audience who approved the play and cast. 

Albert Barker established a cleaning and pressing business in the Jennings building on the lower Latrobe Street, where he was prepared to dye materials and clothing which was a specialty in his new enterprise and which he guaranteed satisfaction. All work entrusted to him was called for and delivered at the shortest possible notice. 

The fantastic musical comedy “The Wizard of OZ” came to the Opera House March 18, 1905, and the work of the Swor Brothers as the scarecrow and the tin woodman was approved by the large audience who paid $838 at the box office to witness the play. The entire scenic effects and properties were carried by the company and the cyclone effects on a Kansas farm as well as other features were novelties to the regular theatre patrons. 

Sawyer Brothers, shoe dealers, advertised the famous Walk-Over shoes for men at a $3.50 and $4.00 the pair and claimed these popular shoes once worn will always be worn by men who enjoy comfort and neatness in footwear. A line of Built-Well shoes for men priced at $2.50, sturdily built for long service, the firm boasted, are the best shoes at the price in the market. 

John F. Caveney established a retail and wholesale hardware business at 26 East Main Street and carried a full line of mill supplies for the convenience of the. Sawmill trade in this territory. He was a of Grafton and son of Patrick Caveney, one pf the town’s first settlers who began his education in the Catholic school under the instruction of Dennis O’ Keefe and was among the first scholars to attend the parish school he entered the employ of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad as an apprentice in the machinery and his knowledge of machinery and tools fitted him finely for his new venture.

Advertisement

More In Community