The History of Taylor County Chapter Three Hundred-Sixty-Four


Dr. Peck Makes A Member of Health Board

Claude B. Bailey was elected president of the Board of Education receiving 962 votes, defeating Dr. Charles A. Sinsel, who received 742 votes. The vote for associate members of the Board of Education was: Cark Madera, 1042; T. W. Heironnomus, 928; Thomas F. Welch, 742; Harry H. Williamson, 613. Hotel license was granted to Edward Custer, E.E. Harwood, J.E. Heath, Mrs. M.J. Culehan. Restaurant license to Fred J. Bollliger, Harry D. Comerford, William Currence, Mrs. C.W. Healy, Gladden and Alexander, Mary Nassons, O.M. Shrock, Scolarinas and Dariakis and A. Stolzenfels, James Yaste, George H. Workman. Drug store license issued to H.D. Comerford, Grafton Drug and Chemical company, N.S. Hall, A.A. Holt, W.S. Jackson. Theatre license to George Brinkman, J.E.B. Phillips and M.E. Morgan. Cigar and tobacco license issued to John Adair and son, M.L. Abbot, Mrs. Clara Baker, Beeler and Young, Fred J. Bolliger, Dominic Bonafede, Joseph B. Bradford, F.W. Brinkman, R.L. Clark and company, W.E. Clayton, William Currence, K.L. Curry, Edward Custer, H.A. Custer, Alfred E. Dawson, J.P. Dehlinger, John Dolan, C. McDade ad son, W.B. Fauley, Fawcett brothers, Charles E. Flanagan, Angelo Forcello, Earl Ford, H.D. Foreman, A.W. Foster, Hiram Gaines, C/M. Glenn, Grafton Drug and Chemical company, N.C. Hall, Mrs. G.W. Healy, C.J. Harding and company, H.L. Huff, A.A. Holt, J.O. Jaco, W.S. Jackson, Harry Johnson, Harry Kimmel, Loar and Poe, Emery J. Poe, Mrs. M.A. Martin, Miss Rose McCable, N.C. Musgrove, W.A. Parkhill, D.C. Pratt, Rauscher brothers, E.F. Redinger, J. Oscar Rosier, C.C. Schuster, A.E. Shanaberger, O.M. Shrock, Thomas L. Shuttlesworth, W.H. Snodgrass, A.C. Stolzenfels, Tygart Valley Shooting Gallery, Whitescarver Drug store, Jams Yaste, S.M. Zinn, the Blen Avon hotel.

License issued to the Tygart Valley Shooting Gallery under the management of Joseph Bolinger. Real estate license issued to Wade Hilkey and R.M. Parrish. Junk license issue to Charles Stolzenfels. Pool and billiard license to Harry Kimmel, six tables; H.D. Comerford, two tables; William Currance, two tables; A.C. Stolzenfels, two tables. The money derived from these licenses was not sufficient to meet the needs of the town’s expenses and the defeat of the saloon license was a serious matter to the authorities, and caused Councilmen Wilkinson and Redinger to go on the record stating:

“That the town had no money with which to meet its obligations in connection with the police and St force, the electric light plant, or any other expense against the general fund, and opposes any expenses against either of these, and we as members of the council declined to concur in any personal liability, because of such expense.”

It is interesting to know, reading the above names of the men and firms who applied for license to conduct their several lines of business 31 years ago, only the business of A.A. Holt, J. Oscar Rosier and Samuel M. Zinn have underwent no changes since their business was established. Mrs. Columba Bonafede still operates the business begun by her husband, the Grafton Drug and Chemical company is the property of Dr. Paul Malone and N. C. Musgrove, in connection with his son, operates the wholesale business of N. C. Musgrove and Son.

the realization of the changes that time and the years bring in any settled community can be noted when scanning the above list and is found that 37 men and women who were engaged in mercantile pursuits in 1909 and who were granted the privilege by the town council have passed away, some carried to Bluemont, some to mount Calvary, and others interred elsewhere. If all others in business at that time which required no license to conduct their lines of business were added to the above list some 74 known business and professional men who have ended their days on earth, one can form a general idea of the business interest then in the town. At that time the chain stores were an unknown quantity store, the shoe store of Clay V. Miller, the Klein clothing store and all business conducted by individuals and local partners. The furniture business of J. Lee Evans, the sheet metal business of W. E. Robinson, the stationary and news store of Clyde G. Turner, the Friedman brothers jewelry still remain who operated in 1909. Others have been taken over by individuals or partners and operated under the original firm name. New methods, new ideas, many new and improved articles of merchandise for eliminating much of the drudgery of former years, new styles and wearables, foods that come in sanitary containers that never come into contact with the hands and protected from contamination of disease breeding insect pests have completely revolutionized modern storekeeping. The dingy and ill lighted shops of the past have been replaced with modern rooms adapted to the needs of the particular line of merchandise carried at these shops are well lighted and equipped with methods giving fine service. what a revelation this modern store service would be to the shop keeper of 70 years ago if he could emerge from obscurity and see the great improvements that have come about with the passing of the years. Computing scales and measuring machines that save the trouble of figuring the price of an article, cash registers that replaced the old money drawer, account files that displaced the old countered a book, the absence of the sugar, rice and green coffee bins, the hogs head of molasses and syrup, the kerosene and cracker barrel and the matting covered chest of tea and varieties and other containers of bold goods which occupied a great amount of space in his shop doubtless would cause him to utter amazement at their absence at the revolution in business methods. The short hours in many holidays enjoyed by the employees, neither he nor his employees new, they began their store duties at 5:00 o’clock in the morning and went well into the evening.

Advertisement

More In Community