The musical farce entitled “Hoity-Toity” with a large cast of singers and comedians came to the Opera House April 27,1905 and did a fine business to an audience that found plenty of enjoyment in this entertainment.
The licenses for the sale of intoxicants, having been defeated in the town election expired on April 30, 1905. All through the day the thirsty citizens from the town and countryside thronged the town to provide themselves with liquid refreshments to tide them over a long aride period of two years. The more fortunate addicted to bibulous habits laid in a sufficient supply to supply his wants against the drought, but this unfortunate imbiber whose capital only provided enough for his immediate need loaded himself to the plasmon line and in a maudlin way his bleary eyes shed tears of regret at this closing of the saloons that deprived him of his craving for stimulants for a long time. And with the passing of the days some found they could really do without liquors and became abstainers from then on to their credit. No arrests were made by police during this closing celebration which lasted until midnight, and all were allowed to make the of this event as long as no real infringement of the town laws took place as two years must elapse before the saloon license question could be again submitted to a vote of the people.
Ex-Mayor Charles V. Gough established a fine restaurant and lunchroom at 134 Latrobe Street, where only the finest foods in season were served in the building that occupied the site on which the first house on the east side of the Tygart Valley River was erected by Nathan Goodwin in the beginning of the town in 1852. Mr. Gough extended a most cordial invitation to the public to visit his new place which he boasted had the best lunch in Grafton.
The Bennett-Moulton Stock company came to the Opera House for the week of May 1-6, 1905, perhaps owing to the lateness of the theatrical season and warm weather this fine company did a fair week’s business, some 2,901 patrons paid admission to witness a clever weeks performance of high class plays.
Mrs. Louisa Kuhl, co-executrix of the estate of Virginia Donohue, advertised the sale of all the household furniture and fixtures of the deceased Virginia Himan Donohue as well as the personal possessions gathered by this richest woman of Grafton during her residence since the beginning of the town and as these possessions passed into the hands of others, only the memory of this woman who gave much of her wealth to help worthwhile objects and which in no small way contributed to the upbuilding of the town during her lifetime is remembered by only a few of the older inhabitants.
Word was received in Grafton of the passing of Mrs. Anna Reeves Jarvis at the home of her son, Claude S. Jarvis, in the city of Philadelphia May 9,1905, Mrs. Jarvis was the daughter of Reverned Joshua Reeves, a noted minister of the Methodist Episcopal faith in the early years of the county. She married Granville E. Jarvis, a prominent merchant of Webster in 1850, and the family resided at Webster until 1865. In that year, Mr. Jarvis purchased the Moses Robinett hotel property in Grafton and moved his family into the new home.
Her two sons and two daughters grew up in Grafton the oldest son, Joshua, began the study of medicine in the office of Dr. Thomas Kennedy of Grafton and completed his studies in the Western Medical College at Baltimore graduating in the Class of 1876 and located at Amos, Marion County, where he became prominent in his profession. Claude S. Jarvis began his education in the schools of Grafton and established a job print shop at the corner of Ethel and Railroad streets in his early years. Later he became an auditor for the Baltimore and Ohio railroad and saw his opportunity in the cab transfer business in the city of Philadelphia which he promoted and placed in operation. Miss Anna, her eldest daughter now world known as the founder of Mother’s Day, began her education in old central school on Wilford Street and completed her higher education at Wheeling Female Seminary and Broaddus college at Clarksburg. After graduating, she was engaged as instructor of the grammar grades in Central School for seven years. After the death of Mr. Jarvis in 1902, the widow and her two daughters took up their residence with the son and brother in the city of Philadelphia, where Mrs. Jarvis died on the above date. Mrs. Jarvis on taking up her residence at Grafton joined the historic old Methodist Episcopal church on Washington street and became an active worker among the congregation especially in the Sunday school and continued in this office until the family moved from Grafton.
Thomas B. Ramsey, a practical stone cutter, experimenting with cement block established a factory for processing these blocks into building materials which he claimed would outlast and outwear common stone and make a far more beautiful showing in the walls of a house and at far less cost and to demonstrate his product erected his family home in Maple Avenue of this building material which made a beautiful home.
George A. Brock was elected Sachem, John B. Kinsley, senior Sagamore, Nathaniel Heffiner, Prophet, S. William Wilson, Keeper of Records, Joseph G. Boliner, Keeper of Wampum. And William J. Mays Representative to the Great Council of Hiawatha Tribe No. 9 Independent Oder of Red Men, for the year 1905.
Hon. John Mason, former prominent attorney in Grafton, living at Fairmont was elected president of the State Bar Association in 1905 and Hon, Ira E. Robinson was elected vice president for the Second West Virginia district