The History of Taylor County Chapter Three Hundred-Seventy-Nine


Plan New Post Office

Judge John Homer Holt established a record in the circuit court of Taylor County on January 31 when he granted five women divorces from their husbands, who, his honor evidently decided, their paths lie in separation brought about by circumstances that warranted this action on his part.

Joab Martin, a veteran of the Civil war, passed away at his home in the little hamlet known as Hiram in the eastern part of the county. Services were conducted from the Mount Morris church near his home and attended by members of Reno Post No.7, who conducted a military funeral service for their dead comrade, January 31, 1910. The fast thinning ranks of the veterans of the Civil war became more noticeable on each Memorial day with each passing year, and possibly only for the forethought of that grand patriotic woman, Mrs. Maria Leeds, this beautiful custom of paying tribute to the savers of the nation like Independence day, would have passed into history locally.

H. H. Frazee, prominent New York theatrical producer, sent his latest play with music entitled “The Time, The place and The Girl,” to the Opera House, February 2, 1910. The story was written around a whole-souled gambler, “Happy Johnny” Hicks and his rich pal, Tom Cunningham, who get into trouble when a fight starts in a gambling house and both Hicks and Cunningham flee to a sanitarium to heal their bruises. Hicks falls in love with his nurse, and Cunningham, with the daughter of a thrifty farmer living near the sanitarium. The action of the play takes place in the sanitarium, where the cast of 40 are quarantined and in which all have part in the complications and amusing situations arising in this health institution, were most original and amusing in an extraordinary degree. The 10 musical numbers were all new, bright and catchy and provided a most delightful evening entertainment.

Leopold Mamburg, superintendent of Grafton Window Glass company, started a flurry in real estate in Grafton when he purchased the old plastered house at the northwest corner of Main and Luzadder street for a price of $12,000. This property, the oldest in Grafton, was erected by Ambrose Sniveley in 1854 for his family home and was the first pretentious house on the north side of main street at the time this principal street was a mere path through the woods. In 1856, Mr. Sniveley sold the property to Dr. Thomas Kennedy, who came to Grafton from Evansville and opened an office in part of the building for the practice of medicile and surgery. Later, the property was sold to Dr. A. M. Jarrett, prominent dentist, who practiced dentistry in part of the home, his family occupying the living quarters. Still later the old building was occupied by Dr. Abraham S. Warder, Sr., who had his office in part of the building, his family coming from Pruntytown to occupy the house and taking up their permanent residence. A number of families occupied the home after the death of the elder Dr. Warder until the home was demolished to make room for the filling station that now occupies the lot.

Add a meeting of the town council held on February 18th, 1910, Hon. Roy Waugh, United States District attorney, asked that the portion of Saint Mary St be surrendered to the government unconditionally as part of the site on which the post office department will, in the near future, erect a most ornate federal building. Mayor James W. Love and the members of the council in order to comply with the request of representative of the government passed the following ordinance, which was adopted:

An ordinance vacating and closing St. Mary street between main and Latrobe streets:

“Be it ordained by the common council of the town of Grafton, West Virginia, that, 

Whereas, the government of the United States has

acquired by combination the property of Mrs.  Rebecca

Fugitt on St. Mary’s street and,

Whereas, it is the purpose of the government to utilize

said property in conjunction with the property opposite, now

occupied by the government for public purposes and,

Whereas, it is necessary and desirable in order to carry

out said purpose that the part of Saint Mary’s street, between

Main and Latrobe St be closed and vacated and allowed to

revert to the owner of the abutting property to wit, the

United states, be it,

Resolved, that the part of Saint Mary street, in the

said town of Grafton, West Virginia, between West Main and

Latrobe streets adjoining the property of the United States

and the property recently acquired by the United States

from Rebecca Fugitt is hereby closed and vacated forever

and thereby and consequently allowed to become the

property of, and the title two vest and the adjacent landowner

to wit, the United States.

JAMES W. LOVE, Mayor

Thomas E. Joyce, Clerk for the town of Grafton.”

The government having previously secured the properties of the heirs of Michael Jennings and the old home of Michael Lyons on the north side of Latrobe street, and extending back to Main street for the purpose of utilizing these sites for the federal building, and in order to provide an entrance to the post office from Latrobe street asked that the short stretch of Saint Mary street, of little use as a thoroughfare, be vacated for this purpose.

Expressions of great regret were heard when it was known that Mrs. Cornelia, wife of Leonard Mallonee, passed away at her home on Wilford street. She was a woman of the very highest Christian character and occupied a large place in the affections of her numerous friends. Resident of Grafton since 1859, she was active in the various societies of the Baptist Church, which she joined while yet a young bride and her wise counsels were heated and followed not alone by the members of her church but by her legion of friends during her half centuries residents and Grafton, which came to a close on February 16, 1910, and she, too, was laid among so many of her friends and neighbors in Bluemont cemetery.

Advertisement

More In Community