The History of Taylor County Chapter Three Hundred-Fifty-One


City Election, 1908

The town council appointed in. C. Must Grove, Perry Collier and A. Hood Phillips commissioners. Daniel Shaw and Edward Finch clerks and precinct one. Clyde Miller, Duward O. Swaim  and J. H. S. Barlow commissioners. Clarence green and Howard Jackson clerks in precinct 2 in the first ward. William H. Adair, Samuel J. Heflin and George How are you. White, David G. Gunst and John a McCabe commissioners. William H. Bailey and Alf Shaw clerks and precinct one. William G. Lake and Oliver Hugh clerks in precinct #2 in the second ward. Phillip C. Preiss, W. Farrell Ware and Thomas P. Kenny commissioners. Charles E. Compton and L. K. Solomon clerks and precinct one. William L. Schaefer and J. K. Murphy and Charles Stozenfels, commissioners J. D. E. Hoffman and Charles D. Powell clerks and precinct two in the third ward. Jacob R. Morgan, W. T. Bartlett and Cyrus E. D Moss commissioners. J. C. McFarland and J. Oscar J Co clerks in the 4th ward. J. C. Llewellyn, William H. Willhide and L. H. Humphries commissioners. Vergel T. Handley and T. E. Moran clerks and precinct one period Alonso Bartlett, D. Pratt and Eugene Sommersville commissioners, E. F. Redinger and John J. Hamilton clerks and precinct 2 in the 5th ward to conduct the town election on March 22, 1908, who reported the following vote cast:

For mayor James W. Love received 878 votes, C. C. Lawson received 699 votes.

For council in the first ward Harry L. Baker received 160 votes. J. Lee Evans received 192 votes.

Four council in the second ward J. J. Reminger received 219 votes, Harry L. Rogers received hundred 131 votes.

For Council in the third ward John L. Hechmer received 202 votes, join a period Carol received 137 votes.

For Council in the 5th ward Fred C. Graham received 217 votes, W. M. Watkins received 205 votes.

For collector of taxes Henry J. Pratt received 874 votes, B. H. Thomas received 698 votes.

Thomas E. Joyce was appointed town clerk and Frederick T. Martin town attorney. Frank B. Cather Superintendent of the town water system. William J. Mays chief of police. Council passed an ordinance establishing a fire limit and the restriction of erecting hazardous frame buildings within the prescribed fire limits.

The hilarious comedy “Done Brown,” came to the Opera House March 23, 1908, and drew and appreciative audience that found much to laugh at in the amusing situations during the action of the comedy.

The town council contracted with the firm of Boyer, Patterson and Morris for the construction of a concrete arch bridge at the mouth of Berkeley Creek to replace the flimsy wooden structure that cost the taxpayers of the town a considerable sum of money when the Gentry Dog and Pony show broke through the wooden bridge and suffered the loss of a team of horses and crippling the driver of the show wagon. The contract price for the concrete arch was bid in by the contracting firm for the sum of $2,950 construction to begin immediately after lending the contract under the supervision of Finley Barber town engineer.

Contractor John W. Giggly was a successful bidder on the contract for the new theater building at the southeast corner of main and McKean St and set a force of men raising the old James I. Love home on the site in preparation for the erection of this new amusement enterprise in which vaudeville performances was to be the principal attractions. Later this amusement house came under the management of J. L. Bush he still operates as a moving picture house he renamed the strand.

The town council passed an ordinance regulating the speed of automobiles to a speed limit of 20 mph on Main Street in Latrobe streets at that time at the first snow all machines were placed in stables and barns, the machines lifted to remove the weight from the tires all parts greased, and the body covered with sheets or yults to protect them from the dirt and horse used to carry the people back and forth during the winter season. Some of the younger folks who now make daily use of the motor driven vehicles would hardly believe this, yet many of the older folks remember this as a fact. So many improvements have come about in the automobile for all seasons use now, the sight of a horse on the streets is a rarity.

The young lady members of the empty stocking club entertained with a bizarre in Brinkman Hall April 3, and four, 1908. This society organized by the warm-hearted woman Mrs. Maria Leeds who perhaps had the welfare of the underprivileged more at heart than any other person in Grafton in 1900 for the purpose of seeing that the children of those unable to provide a Christmas gift were remembered during the yuletide by giving the entertainments for raising the money for gladdening the hearts of children of those unable to provide Christmas cheer.

Charles W Reynolds one of the most prominent land owners and descendants of Cornelius Reynolds who came from Fauqier county Virginia to the wilderness of western Virginia in 1790 and settled one mile West of Pruntytown.

Charles W. Reynolds was born on his father’s farm and began his education in the old subscription school about Pruntytown and received his higher education in old rector college. After graduation he settled on night farm in the Boothsville section and became one of the most successful Stockman of the section giving special attention to the breeding of fine cattle. He married the daughter of Hiram Lynn of a very old Taylor County family. He died on the Lynn farm April 9, 1908.

The Lyman twins in the Yankee drummers a hilarious comedy came to the Opera House April 9th and drew a fine audience who enjoyed the witty saying and the musical numbers presented during the action of the play. These young men whose resemblance was so close they were often mistaken for the other caused much merriment in this play.

Advertisement

More In Community