Robert McConkey, among the most prominent citizens of Fetterman who conducted a stogie and tobacco factory in what is now the first ward of Grafton since 1859 and at the outbreak of the Civil War enlisted in Company K, 17th West Virginia Infantry, and saw service during the period of the war on the side of Federal Government. Receiving his honorable discharge, he returned to Fetterman and resumed the operation of his factory. In 1867, he was appointed postmaster at Fetterman and held the position continuously until rural free delivery was established and the post office discontinued. In 1890, he was elected a member of the Taylor County Court and filled this position eight years. Of the highest integrity, he occupied a prominent part in history of Fetterman I his long and useful career as a citizen during his life which ended March 26, 1903, and like so many of other citizens who fulfilled their mission on earth was laid to rest among them in Bluemont Cemetery by the brothers of the fraternal societies, with which he was affiliated.
The town council owing to the rapid sale of lots in Kunst addition to Bluemont Cemetery was compelled to purchase the three acres tract of land from Charles W. See for additional burial ground.
The annexation of Fetterman to the town of Grafton caused the town council to add the new addition to the old town first ward and established two voting precincts in the new first ward. The town council appointed T.B. McGlumphry, Nathan Jones and George Evans, election commissioners; Edward Glenn and Ilaa Moran, clerks in precinct one; George W. Chambers, J.H. S. Barlow and C.W. Phillips, commissioners and Paul Herzog and Spencer K. White clerks in precinct two, in the first ward.
William R.D. Dent, James Kernan and Singleton J. Willhide commissioners, John Sayre, and William Warder, Clerks in precinct one, John F. Caveney, William H. Bailey and Harry C. Compton, commissioners. A.B. Murphy and William H. Rendel clerks in precinct two, of the second ward, which embraced that part of the town east of Haslup street and included South Grafton,as the third ward.
David A. Fawcett S.W. Wilson and Alfred B. Jenkins were appointed commissioners, Milford Beeler and Clyde Mallonee, clerks in precinct one; Samuel B. Ayer, Patrick Moran and Charles F. Burke, commissioners, M.E. McClain and L.M.E. Parrish, clerks in precinct two, in the third ward.
Harry A. Spies, Frank C. Rauscher, Hacker Humphries, commissioners. John O. Chenoweth, James B. Moran, clerks in precinct one; William E. Pifer, Millard Cather and Marcellus C. Mackin, commissioners. Thomas M. Griffith and John W. Boanfield, clerks in precinct two in the fourth ward, to conduct the town election on Tuesday, March 17,1903.
The commissioners and clerks reported the following vote cast: For mayor, Charles H. Straub received 791 votes, and George F. Green received 18 votes.
For council in the first ward, George Evans received 159 votes and James W. Corbin received 95 votes.
For council in the second ward, A.J. Wilkinson received 279 votes; John A. McCabe received 251 votes, Charles A. Sinsel 164 votes, and James F. Hickman received 149 votes.
No councilman was elected on the third as the present incumbent, William H. Swindler had been elected to serve two years.
For council in the fourth ward, Dr. R. Dorsey Mackin received 209 votes and Virgil M. Handley received 99 votes.
The vote on the refunding issue of the $90,000 bond issue was ratified by 1162 votes cast for and 110 votes cast against refunding.
For Collector of taxes, A.E. N. Means received 850 votes, Harry C. .Shaffer received 591 votes.
For school commissioners, Dr. A.R. Warden received 715 votes, George W. Creel received 680 votes and Joseph B. Bradford received 687 votes.
The vote for licensing saloons carried by a vote of 840 for and 110 against license.
The Merchants and Mechanics Bank of Grafton purchased the entire refunding issue of the town of Grafton water and street improvement bonds at par and $250 premium.
Citizens of Boyd street petitioned the town council to surface that old thoroughfare with a brick pavement and the matter was placed in the hands of the street committee for action and this lane known as Pleasant alley since the beginning of the town was given its first hard surfacing.