Hake’s sentence reinstated after judge shows leniency

TAYLOR COUNTY—After being shown mercy by Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court Judge Alan D. Moats, a defendant’s sentence was reinstated when he failed to adhere to the rules.

Grafton resident Christopher Hake was originally indicted by the Taylor County Grand Jury in April 2019 on three counts of felony child neglect, following an arrest earlier that same month.

He entered into a negotiated plea agreement with the State of West Virginia and pleaded guilty to one count of felony child neglect. 

For his crime, he was sentenced to a period of not less than one nor more than five years behind bars, and that sentence was held in abeyance by Moats, who allowed Hake to serve his sentence on the Taylor County Community Corrections program.

As part of his sentence, Hake would undergo drug testing through the program, as his crimes were committed in part because of drug use. According to court documents, while on the program, Hake continued his drug use, but was admitted into a drug rehabilitation program.

His time in the treatment program was short lived, and he was placed back in the regional jail on June 3, 2020, for failing to adhere to the rules of the facility. 

Following a hearing held on June 12, 2020, his underlying sentence was reimposed, with the caveat that should be able to secure a bed in a rehab center, Moats would consider his release.

Later in the month, he was released once more to attend another treatment program. However, in early September, Taylor County Community Corrections Director Tammy Narog submitted a report to the court stating that the defendant had been terminated from that program, as well.

Following his termination, Hake was instructed to report back to the regional jail, but failed to do so, claiming that he was experiencing an allergic reaction to something. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, but after being released from the hospital, he once again failed to report to the jail.

A capias was issued for Hake on September 11, 2020 and he remained on the run until he was apprehended on December 17, 2021.

According to his counsel, Tyler Reseter, during that time, Hake had enrolled himself into a sober living facility in Charleston and had since completed the program. Reseter revealed that the defendant had also turned himself in to the State Police Charleston Detachment voluntarily.

Displeased with the actions of Mr. Hake, Moats ordered the defendant’s Community Corrections be revoked and that the one-to-five-year child neglect sentence be reinstated. Hake will receive credit for any time served.

Moats further ordered that Hake would be subject to two years of extended supervised release following the completion of his sentence.