Hake pleads guilty to failure to appear once more

TAYLOR COUNTY—A defendant with a track record of breaking the rules was back in Taylor County Circuit Court, to enter into a negotiated plea agreement with the state of West Virginia.

Christopher Hake is no stranger to the Taylor County court system, having previously been indicted for failure to appear and felony escape charges. And it would be his failure to appear in court that would lead to his most recent visit to the Taylor County Circuit Court.

Late last month, Hake, alongside defense attorney Tyler Reseter, were present in front of Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court Judge Shawn D. Nines, to enter into a plea agreement with the state, after being charged by way of information.

Hake had previously had an underlying one-to-five-year sentence reinstated after being allowed the chance at drug rehabilitation. According to court documents, Hake was first permitted to enter into the Taylor County Community Corrections program, after pleading guilty to felony child neglect.

As part of his sentence, Hake would undergo drug testing through the program, as his crimes were committed in part because of drug use. According to court documents, while on the program, Hake continued his drug use, but was admitted into a drug rehabilitation program.

His time in the treatment program was short lived, and he was placed back in the regional jail on June 3, 2020, for failing to adhere to the rules of the facility. 

Following a hearing held on June 12, 2020, his underlying sentence was reimposed, with the caveat that should he be able to secure a bed in a rehab center, the court would consider his release.

Later in the month, he was released once more to attend another treatment program. However, in early September, Taylor County Community Corrections Director Tammy Narog submitted a report to the court stating that the defendant had been terminated from that program, as well.

Following his termination, Hake was instructed to report back to the regional jail, but failed to do so, claiming that he was experiencing an allergic reaction to something. He was taken to a nearby hospital for treatment, but after being released from the hospital, he once again failed to report to the jail.

A capias was issued for his arrest, and ultimately, he was taken into custody. During his revocation hearing, Nineteenth Judicial Circuit Court Judge Alan D. Moats ordered that Hake would serve two years of extended supervised release following that sentence.

However, because of his absconding from the program, Hake was charged by way of information to failure to appear.

After accepting the plea agreement, Judge Nines ordered that Hake’s new sentence of one-to-five years would be served consecutively with his underlying sentence, and that the defendant would remain in jail until a decision regarding his parole was made.

However, seeing that drug addiction can have a strong hold on someone, Nines further ordered that if a bed could be secured in a long-term treatment facility, the court would consider his release into the program.



Video News
More In Homepage