Grafton Police Department arrests health center robbery suspect

GRAFTON—One man in behind bars after months of investigation.

Arthur Anthony Baxter was arrested on Monday, November 18, by the Grafton Police Department and charged with first degree robbery by use of firearm or other deadly weapon.

According to Grafton Police Chief Robert Beltner, on September 9, Baxter entered the Preston/Taylor Community Health Center, located at 725 North Pike Street, in Grafton, and allegedly produced a firearm demanding items from the pharmacy.

The defendant then fled from the scene, and an investigation was launched.

Taylor County Magistrate Ricky Reese has set Baxter’s bond at $250,000. Baxter is currently being held in the North Central Regional Jail on various other charges from other counties.

Additionally, the department made arrests in another incident that occurred on November 12.

Zachary Dale Stevens, 34, and Christopher Robert Taylor, 45, both of Grafton, are being charged with felony burglary, after police were called out on a trespassing complaint on Walnut Street.

According to the criminal complaint filed by Deputy Chief Michael Kochka, he and Patrolman Nicholas received word that a call had come into the Harrison-Taylor 911 Dispatch Center about the presence of an individual inside a residence who was trespassing.

Upon arrival to the scene, the officers spoke with the caller and a third party, who revealed that there was a male, later identified as Taylor, located in the corner of the bedroom of the home.

The officer noted in his report that Taylor was incoherent, and after multiple attempts to wake him up, the officer requested assistance from the Taylor County Emergency Medical Squad.

According to the complaint, Taylor was found with his pants down around his knees, with feces on his body and lying next to him on the floor. The defendant was transported to Grafton City Hospital, where he was admitted for treatment.

Inside the home, the officer found drugs, including methamphetamine, and drug paraphernalia. They also found another individual.

Another officer with the department entered the attic and found a sleeping Stevens. He was removed from the area, cuffed and detained while officer searched the area. At the base of the stairs, they found small baggies containing a white powdery substance.

Stevens admitted to the officers that he and Taylor had been using the methamphetamine the night before. He also admitted that neither of them had permission to be in the residence but had entered through an unlocked back door.

Stevens was arrested and is currently being held on a $5,000 bond. Taylor was taken into custody on Monday, and he is being held on a $3,000 bond amount. Both defendants are being housed in the Tygart Valley Regional Jail.


Video News
More In Homepage