GHS Boys Soccer takes on Point Pleasant and East Fairmont

GRAFTON— The Grafton High (GHS) School Boys Soccer team was back in action this past week, and the team faced some grueling action.

The Bearcats recently made the long trip to Point Pleasant to take on the Black Knights last Saturday.

Faced with hot temperatures, the teams took to Ohio Valley Bank Field to figure out which group would dominate in a monster of a game.

“Although it was in the upper 80’s, it felt closer to 110 degrees on the turf,” shared Head Coach Arthur Knight. “In addition to extremely warm temperatures, we faced some questionable calls throughout the game.”

According to the Bearcat Soccer coaching staff, the teams were nearly evenly matched. The Cat’s rallied, but at the three-minute mark, the team suffered an unlucky kick, as the ball touched the hand of a player.

Point Pleasant was awarded a penalty kick, and they were able to find the back of the net, putting them up 1-0 over the Cats.

The Black Knights bumped their lead to 3-0 with goals scored at the 11-minute and 13-minute marks, but in true Bearcat fashion, the boys wouldn’t allow the setback to slow them down.

A pass from Noah Foley to Spencer Copeland at the 32-minute mark sent the ball into the corner of the goal, and the Bearcats were finally on the board.

Going into halftime, the Cats knew they had ground to make up, as Point Pleasant had the advantage 3-1.

The second half would be riddled with questionable calls, and neither team was able to find the back of the net, ending the contest in a Black Knight victory.

“We learned a lot from this game, and we will use those lessons to get better,” said Assistant Coach Jack Wolverton. “I know I speak for the whole Bearcat team when I say I’d love to play Point again on a neutral field.”

Then on Tuesday, the Cats welcomed the East Fairmont High School Bees to McKinney Field in their first Big 10 Conference matchup of the season.

Faced with strong opposition, both teams struggled to find the back of the net. The Bees found a solid opportunity after the Bearcats were charged with a handball, earning a penalty kick East.

The fate of the half rested on the shoulders of goalie Bryson Kittle, who would not disappoint with a diving save, to keep the Bees from scoring.

With back-and-forth play between the Cats and Bees, the second half also saw both teams unable to connect with the goal, and the game ended without score.

“This is a game we feel we should have won, but like we told the guys early on, all of our Big 10 games are going to be a battle,” voiced Wolverton.

The Cats were back in action on Thursday night, traveling to Philippi to take the field against the Colts of Philip Barbour High School. The results from that matchup will be featured in an upcoming edition of the Mountain Statesman.


More In Sports