GFD battles brush fire on Travis Road

© 2018-Mountain Statesman

GRAFTON—The Grafton Fire Department responded to multiple calls in two days, starting Thursday afternoon.

According to Harrison-Taylor County 911 media log, the fire department was alerted to a brush fire call on Travis Road, located off of U.S. Route 119 North, in the Haymond area of Taylor County, on Thursday afternoon, at approximately 4:20 p.m.

“A resident in the area was driving by, saw the fire and called it in,” said Ryan Roberts, a member of the Grafton Fire Department.

He said he believes the fire started after a tree, which was dead and rotted out, was blown down onto the power lines.

“When it fell onto the lines, it caused them to arch, and then the fire started,” explained Roberts. “Once the fire burned through the lines, the tree fell, causing the hillside to catch fire.”

Unit B1 and Unit 106 were the first to arrive on scene. Crews used water from the department’s brush truck to extinguish the flames along the hillside. Tanker 1 arrived on the scene to bring more water.

A hose was then hooked to Tanker 1 and members sprayed the hillside, saturating it to make sure the fire would not flare back up.

MonPower was called to the scene to fix the lines and restore power to the residences in the area.

On Friday, the fire department was called to the scene of a dumpster fire, at a commercial property on Country Club Road, U.S. Route 310, at approximately 1:35 p.m.

Chief 1 and Unit 104 responded to the scene. Fire personnel were able to smother the flames, by using a fire extinguishing foam, which deprives the fire of oxygen, causing the flames to die out.

According to Grafton Fire Chief Dave Crimm, workers at the plant had cleaned out items from the previous run and placed them into the dumpster.

“The hot material mixed with other items in the dumpster, causing them to combust,” explained Crimm. “We used the foam, because it keeps the fire from being able to reignite.”

Later that night, the fire department, along with crews from Flemington and Fellowsville, responded to a structure fire on Lincoln Street, at approximately 11:30 p.m.

According to Crimm, when the crews arrived on scene, there was black smoke in the residence.

“We were able to conclude that the fire occurred because the homeowners electric cook stove circuit board malfunctioned,” shared Crimm.

Crimm reported that they were able to contain the fire in the kitchen of the house, and there were no injuries.

Grafton Engine 102, Truck 1, Unit 106, Unit 108 and Chief One all responded to the scene, as well as, Flemington Engine 302 and Fellowsville Engine 5.

© 2018-Mountain Statesman


Video News
More In Homepage