GRAFTON—High winds and lack of water supply caused woes for area firefighters during a Wednesday night fire on Aaron Lane.
The Grafton Fire Department (GFD) was alerted to a structure fire on Aaron Lane, above Donald G. Ford Funeral Home, off of U.S. Route 50 at approximately 9:23 p.m.
Within minutes, first responders were on scene, and members from the GFD noted flames and heavy smoke coming from and around the chimney of the residence.
According to Grafton Fire Chief Ryan Roberts, it is believed that the fire began in a wood burning stove and quickly spread throughout the building.
Individuals were home at the time of the fire and were able to make it out of the residence safely, however, the family dog did not survive the blaze.
“There were two people in the home who were able to escape out a back bedroom window,” revealed Roberts.
Crews immediately went to work to try and combat the flames, but without adequate water sources and gusty winds, their job was made increasingly difficult.
“Because of those factors, we struggled to gain control of the fire when we first arrived,” Roberts explained.
As more companies responded alongside volunteer firefighters from Grafton’s Department, crews went to work to try and contain the inferno.
“Once we set up a drop tank and were able to get filled tankers to the scene, we had a steady water supply to fight the fire,” Roberts disclosed. “However, the high winds continued to cause issues for us, especially being up on top of the hill.”
Although crews from multiple agencies worked as one to extinguish the flames, the departments were unable to save the home, which was deemed a total loss.
“We just want to thank the other departments that came to our aid,” Roberts voiced. “In situations like that, additional manpower is always welcomed.”
In addition to the GFD, crews from Flemington Volunteer, Boothsville Volunteer, Nutter Fort and Winfield District Fire Departments were on scene, as well as the Taylor Count Emergency Squad, Taylor County Sheriff’s Department and Grafton Police Department.
Firefighters from the Fellowsville Volunteer Fire Department covered the Grafton station while its members responded to the call.