Brush fires burn in Taylor County


GRAFTON—Dryer conditions brought about two brush fires for the Grafton Fire Department to battle.

On Thursday, firefighters were toned out to a small brush fire on Stone Road, off of Route 310. When the crew from the Grafton Fire Department arrived on scene, they reported that approximately one to two acres of land had caught fire.

A tanker truck made its way to the scene and within a short amount of time the fire was under control.

“The fire had been accidentally started by the property owner,” revealed Grafton Fire Chief Wayne Beall. “Luckily, the flames were extinguished quickly before the fire could spread any further.”

Then, on Saturday, crews from multiple fire departments were called to Camp Towles Road, where a downed powerline had caused approximately five to seven acres of land on fire.

Crews from Flemington, Boothsville, and Winfield District (located in Marion County), were on scene to help battle the flames. Meanwhile, Fellowsville Volunteer Fire Department covered the Grafton station in the event additional calls came in during the time of the fire.

“We had called Worthington and Barrackville Fire Departments for aid, but luckily we were able to extinguish the flames before they made it,” said Beall.

He reported that the flames were contained to the pasture where the fire started, but that the farmer owning the property lost some round bales of hay.

“We truly appreciated the help from the surrounding departments,” shared Beall. “Although the acreage was scorched, things could have been a lot worse.”

He shared that high winds caused some issue when trying to keep the fire under control, but the departments worked closely with one another to ensure the least amount of property possible saw damage.

“Even with fire season over, there are still precautions individuals can take to ensure their controlled burn doesn’t become uncontrolled,” Beall noted.

He shared that small steps like checking the weather forecast before burning can help residents keep their flames contained.

“Even though the roots of grasses and other weeds might not ignite, the part above ground very well may burn, which could lead to the spread of fires,” Beall said. “The bottom line is, just burn responsibly.”

The Fire Chief would like to remind residents living within city limits that they will need to obtain a burning permit to carry out open burns. Permits are free for residents and may be obtained at the Grafton Fire Department.

For more information, please contact the fire department by phone at 304-265-1866.

Advertisement

© 2020-Mountain Statesman


Video News
More In Homepage