Bearcats roll past B-U 47-17 before heading into their open

GRAFTON—The lights of McKinny field would shine down on a conference matchup this past Friday as the Grafton High School (GHS) Bearcats would take on the Buckhannon-Upshur High School (B-U) Buccaneers. 

The Bearcats would be the first with the ball as the game got underway and made an impressive drive down the field. Unfortunately,  the Cats were stuffed by the Bucs defense for a turnover on downs and the Bucs took over deep in their own turf. 

With the Bucs doing a three and out and the succeeding possession by the Bearcats both teams were finding it hard to move the ball. 

Lightning would strike deep into the first quarter, with one minute left the Bearcats forced a B-U fumble that was picked up by Isaiah Vanscoy and ran all the way back for a Bearcats touchdown and extra point.  

B-U not to be outdone would strike equally as fast as the Bucs star running back #19 Savion Farmer found a weak side hole and ran it 50 yards for a Bucs touchdown and extra point. 

The first quarter ended with the score tied 7-7. 

The opening possession of the second quarter would find the Bearcats once again moving the ball down into the red zone, but this time QB Tanner Moats would find receiver Daniel Bord in the corner of the endzone as Stratton Woodell booted the extra point brining the score to 14-7 with 9:10 left in the second quarter. 

The Bucs would put together a scoring drive just before halftime as they would produce a field goal just before the buzzer to bring the score to 14-10 at the half. 

The second half would begin with the Bucs receiving the ball but a quick three and out would force a B-U punt that would find senior standout Justin Spiker at the other end and he would kick up the afterburners to take the pigskin 62 yard for another Bearcats TD which brings the score to 20-10.

The Spiker punt return and adjustments made at half-time would see GHS start a scoring run that wouldn’t end until the end of the third quarter with the score being 33-10.

The fourth quarter would be no better for the Bucs as Grafton scored quickly with Moats finding Issac Lough for a 70yd Touchdown Pass to bring the score to 40-10 with 10:39 left to play in the game. 

Buckhannan-Upshur wouldn’t give up so easily as they were able to punch in another touchdown from the five-yard line to add to their side of the score 40-17. 

Grafton would put up one more touchdown with two minutes left to play as the Bearcats would go on to easily put away the B-U Buccanners with a final score of 47-17. 

The GHS Bearcats football program stands a 7-2 on the season. The Bearcats will get some much-needed rest as they have a bye week this week. They will resume the season on November 5, as they will take on the Lewis County Minute Men at home. 


More In Sports