Bearcat Soccer dominates in recent matchups

GHS Bearcat soccer players celebrate after their shutout win over Notre Dame. (Photo courtesy of Grafton Bearcat Soccer)

GRAFTON—Hitting the field last week in soccer action, the Grafton High School (GHS) Bearcats saw opposition from numerous teams, but they would find victory on the turf.

On Thursday, the Cats made their way to Philippi, where they met up with the Philip Barbour (PB) Colts. The Bearcats would control the ball for much of the first half of play, and at the seven-minute mark, Adrian Joyce found the back of the net to claim the first goal of the evening.

With the score sitting at 1-0 in favor of Grafton, Spencer Copeland found Joyce in front of the goal, and with a swift kick, the Bearcats were able to add another ball past the Colt goalie, increasing their lead two-nothing at the 18-minute mark.

The Cats dominated the field, applying pressure to the Philip Barbour crew, holding them scoreless during their possessions. 

Joyce’s third goal for the night came after Layne England threw a ball into the penalty box, that was launched back into the air by Jude Minard. Joyce connected and the ball found the back of the net, bringing the score 3-0, in favor of GHS.

Three minutes later, the Bearcats increased their lead when Kamden Hulley placed the ball through the Colt backline to Copeland, who set the ball into the goal.

With a score of 4-0 at the half, the Cats were ready to defend the field during the second half of play.

After a Colts goal, Grafton was quick to answer. The fifth and final goal of the night came off the foot of Colton Sanders from 25-yards out, when he was able to slide the ball into the edge of the PB goal.

Led by Joyce’s Hat Trick, the Cats claimed the victory 5-1 against the Colts.

Coming off the win, the GHS welcomed the Brooke Bruins to McKinney Field for a fairly even matched game.

Six minutes into the match, Copeland was fouled in the penalty box, resulting in a penalty kick for the Cats, that they quickly capitalized on. As the ball sailed past the Bruin keeper, the score sat at 1-0.

The score carried into half time, with the Cats maintaining the ball and taking more shots on goal as time ticked away.

The tides shifted in the second half, as the Bruins took control of the ball, and attempted more shots on goal. 

Again, at the six-minute mark, the Bruins got on the board with a freekick that found the back of the net. A second Bruin goal was scored at the 21-minute mark, giving them the advantage 1-2.

The Cats were quick to answer, and evened things back up with a Minard-Copeland setup, that saw the ball smartly placed in the corner of the goal.

When the final whistle sounded, the game sat at 2-2, in an evenly played match.

On Tuesday, the Bearcats welcomed sectional foe, Notre Dame to McKinney Field, in a home contest that did not disappoint.

The Cats dominated play and closed out the contest in a lopsided victory 10-0. 

Minard was the first to strike against the Fighting Irish, sending the ball across to Copeland who tapped it in to start the scoring frenzy.

Two minutes later, Landen Hulley took a free kick that England finished bringing the score to 2-0.

Copeland would claim his second goal of the night at the 12-minute mark, followed by Noah Foley, who sank in a pass from L. Hulley at the 25-minute mark.

Marcus Carder found the back of the net for the Cats at the 31-minute mark, to put GHS up 5-0.

Then on a nice pass from K. Hulley, Brayden Bailey was able to put a shot past the Irish keeper, bringing the score to 6-0.

The Cats continued to dominate play during the second half, racking up another four goals before the final buzzer sounded.

Those goals were credited to Kaige Andrews, Devin Weaver, Charlie Halfin and Bailey.

The Cats will be back in action tomorrow night, when they travel to Buckhannon to take on the Buckhannon-Upshur Buccaneers. Action will get underway at 5:30 p.m.


More In Sports